top of page

Need to move your pet to Tokyo, Japan (HND)?

Allow our skilled pet shipping team to assist you, whether it’s for domestic or international pet transportation. Count on our experienced professionals to guarantee the safe arrival of your beloved pet.

Our Tokyo, Japan pet shipping services include:

  • Door to door transport, both international and domestic

  • Assistance with health certificates, import certificates, and other travel documents.

  • USDA endorsement of all relevant documents where required

  • Airline approved flight kennels provided with personalized labels, identification and emergency notification instructions

  • Customs clearance and delivery to your home

  • Local pet taxi service to and from the airport, your home, veterinarian or kennel/boarding facility – available in the US and Japan.

  • Travel consultation and cargo flight reservations

We will inform you of your pet’s full itinerary before the trip and we will update you as your pet travels to or from Toyko-Haneda International Airport (HND).

Paperwork and Veterinary Requirements

It’s best to have Transcontinental Pet Movers or an equally qualified IPATA agent help guide and plan your pet’s pre-move preparations. For now, the following information serves as a guide in order to prepare your pet to enter Japan.


Pets from the US are able to avoid quarantine if they complete the 180 days wait after the rabies titer test.
Military PCS pets can apply to undergo quarantine on base through Transcontinental Pet Movers LLC.

Health/Veterinary Requirements

Must be completed at least 6 months before departure


Must be administered before any other veterinary procedures.

  • Dogs and cats must be identifiable by microchip. There are no exceptions to this rule.

  • The microchip should be ISO compliant and 15 digits long.If your pet does not have an ISO compliant chip, your pet will have to travel with a microchip reader attached to the crate. Alternatively, your vet can implant a new ISO compliant chip in addition to the existing non-ISO compatible chip.
    After implanting the chip, your pet will have to be revaccinated in order for the new vaccination to be valid.


  • Two Rabies vaccinations with the 2nd at least 30 days after the 1st but within its effective period.

  • Other vaccines are not required, but the vaccines below are recommended, particularly if your pet may need to be boarded before or after travel.Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza and Parvovirus (DHLPP) and Bordetella.
    Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus and Panleukopenia (FVRCP)

Blood Tests

To be completed at least 6 months prior to entry into Japan.

  • Rabies Titer test takes about 4 weeks to process and is valid for entry into Japan for 1 year

Paperwork Requirements

Advanced Notification / Notification of Import Inspection / Import Permit

Applied at least 40 days prior to the pet’s arrival.

  • We recommend leaving it to Transcontinental Pet Movers to facilitate this.

Health Examination for Health Certificate

Must be conducted within 10 days of departure

  • At this point in your pet’s move, one of our pet shipping specialists will pre-complete the correct health certificate and email it to you veterinarian for signature at the physical appointment. We provide all documents and are available to answer any questions and troubleshoot issues that may arise.

USDA Endorsement

Must be completed before departure

  • After your pet has been examined by your veterinarian and the health certificate has been completed and signed, the health certificate must be submitted to the USDA office to be endorsed. Transcontinental Pet Movers will coordinate this process with your doctor.

  • If a military veterinarian completes your pet’s health certificate, the USDA endorsement is not needed. A military veterinarian is a Veterinary Corps Officer or civilian GS-0701 series government veterinarian employed by the U.S Army Veterinary Service.

The requirements above for moving your pet to Haneda, Japan can also be found on USDA’s website and the Japan MAFF’s website.

Airport Information
Tokyo Airport is one of 2 main international airports for US based pets to arrive in Japan. Transcontinental Pet Movers can arrange for further transport to another city after arrival.

bottom of page